Pages

Paper bead jewellery

         I have been learning and trying out different types of jewellery. I came across paper bead jewellery and it is simple and cute. There are many tutorials using different techniques and products but some of the items are not available here like modge podge, diamond glaze. 

After rolling the beads, you have to glaze the beads to make them water-resistant, hard and have a shiny finish. Modge podge is a good way to do it. I read an nice article about making your own modge podge. It is quite simple, mix equal quantity of fevicol and acrylic gloss medium. And apply two coats of this mixture to make the beads hard and water resistant. Once it dries, apply varnish (be careful to use good quality paper so that print doesn't fade on varnishing) to get the shiny finish.
My daughter let me use her old gift wrappers to make the paper beads on one condition, that I make jewellery for her :-). So this is the necklace I made for her.



Iam entering this for Itsy Bitsy contest which requires a tutorial. I gave a lot of thought about making the tutorial then decided to put my coding skills into use. I included javascript sliders that I had coded for my website.

So here goes:

The things you will need:
    a) for paper beads

-paper. I used old gift wrapper.
-glue. I used modge podge that I made. Mixed equal quantity of fevicol and camel's acrylic gloss medium
-palette or plastic bowl for mixing the modge podge
-scissors
-ruler
-pen
-round toothpicks
-thermocol sheet to stick your toothpick to let them dry
-one old used paintbrush
-varnish. I used camel's picture varnish
-glitter powder

  b) for necklace
-head pins
-stretch/elastic cord.
-few other beads that match your paper beads.
-nail clipper. I find nail clipper cut more closer to the knot than scissors.
-jewellery glue to apply at the knot so that it doesn't loosen. I used fevikwik.


Part 1: Making the paper beads.
Press on the green arrow to start.

Part 2: Making the shiny paper beads.
Press on the green arrow to start.

Part 3: Making the paper bead necklace.
Press on the green arrow to start.



No comments:

Post a Comment